Sautéed grated turnips with carrots
Yield serves 6
1/2 lb turnips, peeled and grated
1/2 lb carrots, peeled and grated
4 tablespoons butter
fresh ground black pepper
1/2 cup pecan halves, sautéed in 3
optional: 3 tablespoons of fresh herbs, preferably mint or basil
- If the turnips are small, they do not need blanching. If they are larger
than an egg, bring a large pot of water to a boil and blanch them by cooking
1-2 minutes, to remove the strong taste. Drain well and dry with paper
- Heat the butter in a large skillet or fry pan.
- Add the turnips and carrots and toss in the butter for 5 minutes.
- Taste and add salt and pepper as desired.
- May be made ahead to this point.
- When ready to eat, add the pecans and toss over high heat 2-3 minutes.
Variation with herbs
- add 3 tablespoons of fresh herbs, preferably mint or basil, when reheating